After Lucy’s lecture on Monday, this week I focused primarily on sorting out my colour scheme and creating a colour board. I looked at Lucy and Steve’s pantone swatches/books and chose some relevant shades.I also used the colour picker tool on Photoshop and Illustrator to pick out the main colours in my images on my mood boards.
These were 12 colours I chose which I feel represent what I took from the ‘scanned memory’ brief and successfully signify femininity and delicacy.
Lucy suggested that I have about 6 colours in total and therefore these are the final ones I chose. I got rid of any which were too similar to each other and narrowed them down to 2 blue tones, 2 pink and 2 grey. I’m really pleased with the colours I selected as I fell they successfully portray and theme and the message that I want to give.
This is my final colour board. I spent the best part of about 2 days on this, trying to get the balance between having enough information on it, having all of the colours present and not just being another version of my mood board.
I think it is successfu in representing each colour and where they came from and also my inspiration in order to go onto creating designs.
Both today and Tuesday, Steve taught us to use both photoshop and illustrator to create self portraits in the form of vector drawings. On Tuesday we were using photoshop.
At first I found it extremely difficult to get my head around the pen tool, however once I had got used to it, I was surprised how quickly I could produce something that I was really proud of.
I used several layers, one for each part of the drawing, for example one for each of the lips, teeth and gums and this helped me to keep track of what order everything was in.
I find the colour picker tool extremely extremely useful for this sort of work and was surprised at some of the colours that it came up with, for example the the whites of the eyes aren’t actually white, but are more of a yellow/grey colour. This tool allowed the portrait to look more realistic because it prevented an exaggeration of colour.
Today we were using illustrator. I assumed that this would have been easier to create a portrait because of the tools available, however I actually found it a lot harder and that it took a lot longer. Some people found it easier to work with illustrator though and this shows how some people prefer different programs to others.
Although it is unfinished and I found it a lot harder than the portrait on Photoshop, I am pleased with what I achieved and really like the sketchy, more hand drawn effect this technique gives.