Week One Theme ResearchPosted: November 15, 2015
The following is the individual research I did when we were choosing which themes to look at in our group.
- Short for retrospective = looking back
- Imitative of a style or fashion from the recent past
- Typically consciously derivative of trends, music, fashion or attitudes of the recent past
- Retro style – new things that display characteristics of the past
- Ironic stance
- Retro shows nostalgia with a dose of cynicism (inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest) and detachment
- Emerged in the 1950’s, but flourished in the 1960’s in America and Britain
- Inspiration from popular and commercial culture – advertising, pop music etc.
- Revolt against dominant approaches to art and design – traditional views on what art should be
- Hollywood movies, advertising, product packaging, pop music and comic books
- Post war consumer boom
- Globalisation of pop music and youth culture
- Seductive imagery of American popular culture
- Consumerist lifestyle