PART 1 – SUMMARYPosted: December 9, 2015
Fo[u]r Rooms – Part One
Overall I have really enjoyed the first part of this project and have learnt skills that I have never had to master before, such as the basics of how to create an accurate insitu drawing of a room using viewpoint lines.
The two themes that my team have decided to go with are post modernism and nostalgia. At first I was really confused as to what exactly post modernism means and was confused about the difference between that and modernism. After a lot of independent research on the project I am much more confident. In terms of nostalgia, at first we were more looking at how artists represent nostalgia in their work, through a sense of longing and memory. We then moved on further to our own personal nostalgia from our childhoods. While we were initially discussing this we realised that we were all either born in or at least lived through the 1990’s, and everything that we were recalling was from this period. This included television shows, music and toys.
These two themes link together really nicely in terms of colour palette and shapes and we have tried to work with this and kept in in mind while designing each component in our room proposal.
Compared to the other groups’ themes and ideas, ours does have a much more humorous and playful feel, and is definitely more colourful. One thing I am worried about is it looking tacky and too overwhelming. I think there is a fine line between it looking professional and well executed and being over done.
I always have found working in a team hard and after last year’s field module, aimed to be more open to other member’s ideas and ensuring better communication between people. I do think I have achieved that over the last 5 weeks to an extent, however I have still found it hard. I think having quite a few strong personalities in one group is a recipe for disaster, alongside not having half of the group present for most of it. This did make it difficult but I do think we dealt with it well, and by assigning everyone with their own responsibilities and jobs we were able to put all of our focus and energy into those aspects.
My particular responsibilities are the seating (cushions) and the artwork for the frames. These were initially going to be produced by everyone but some people thought that this might be too much work, and I was happy to take responsibility, along with Hannah (Lewis). I have looked at a number of artists for inspiration and am really looking forward to developing my ideas and experimenting a bit more with them. It is all going to be very stitch based and with incorporate skills that I am already confident with, for example free machine embroidery, with things I had never really tried before, i.e. stitching onto paper/photographs.
The chatter box installation on the ceiling was originally Ilona’s responsibility, however with her being an erasmus student, she won’t be returning after the Christmas break. Although this is a huge shame that she isn’t able to carry on with her ideas and concepts which she has contributed to the team, we as a group were able to overcome this quite easily by sharing out the responsibilities and deciding to made most of the structure as a team. This is something that I am actually quite proud of.
The one thing which I am the most worried about when we start the more practical side of this project is the actual skills required for some of the things we want to create. This was worse when we were a group of four, made up of just textile and fine artists, but I am more confident after the arrival of two of our missing team mates, who do bring some more knowledge of construction to the team.
I am really looking forward to coming back in January and to see our ideas and concepts that we have been talking about for 5 weeks come together and become reality. It is going to be intense and there is a lot of work to be done, but if we really work together at making everything cohesive, I think we have the capability of producing something we will be really proud of.